Monday, September 19, 2011

Fall Foods

As I mentioned in the last posting Fall is my favorite food season. I'm starting to see "Fall" everywhere I go. I'm so excited about it. Everything from the weather to the beverages, and clothing choices to the fauna is starting to show the pre-season flirting signs of this wondrous season.

The atmosphere of fall is just soothing, the people are more calm, the trees begin to bare themselves and show off their naked bodies, while people become more conservative. Scarves wrapped loosely around necks as the guarantee that they will soon be tightened lingers around the crisp cheeks. Cooler beverages are hastily replaced by hot cocoa's and piping hot coffees. Cool freshening aromas float through the air and tease the senses. If you walk into a kitchen with seasonal fare you will find copious amounts of squashes and sweet potatoes, large vials of cinnamon and cloves, preparing soon for pumpkins and nutmeg as the chill sets in.

I'm going to soon try making some fall butternut squash fries soon. The fries will be a nice snack, fairly healthy (except the frying part, although they could just be roasted), and super flavorful. I'm really excited about them.

If you wanna try them let me know how the turn out. I'll post pictures when I try them.

For a small amount just use one squash.

1                    Medium Butternut Squash
2                    t ground cinnamon
2                    t ground nutmeg
1 1/2              t ground cloves
1/8                 c sugar
1/8                 c brown sugar

Peel & cut the squash into desired size (the shape should resemble a french fry). Lay the sticks out on a baking sheet, and roast in your oven on 375 F until the sticks are just softened (still a little tough). Put your squash in the freezer until they cool. Heat frying oil to about 350 F. At any point when you aren't doing anything mix all the dry ingredients well. Drop a few Squash Fries into the oil and fry until they are crispy and cooked through. Immediately toss them in the spice & sugar mixture. When the cool slightly Enjoy.

If you try them before me give me some feedback or send me some pictures.

Blessings on you, your food, and your kitchens!

No comments:

Post a Comment