Thursday, August 18, 2011

Reflection Time (A Fleeting Glance of Arcane Introspections)

Hello Everyone.
This go around is something I've needed to do for a good bit of time now. Over the past two years many of you have supported me, I thank you for that! I'm thinking of a piece of advice I got from a chef one night. This, in a literal aspect is very direct to any industry in which you are on your feet for long periods of time, but I understand it in a different way now that I think about it. I hope that I'm able to explain my thoughts on this simple statement.

The man stands thoughtfully, slowly sips ice water from a quart container, a bead of sweat rolls down his face, and finally says to me, "The best piece of advice I can give to you," sips the water again, and stares thoughtfully in the direction of the loud overhead exhaust, "Wear comfortable shoes." I laughed and he just stares for a moment and shakes my hand then walks away.

I'd like to say that in that moment I was very literal in thinking something along the lines of, "Of course, otherwise your legs/feet would kill you." Later as I was thinking about that moment I realized a flaw in my thinking. A good pair of shoes is a necessity for anyone who is on their feet a lot, have back, leg,  or knee problems, or just in general like to be comfortable when they are on their feet. Yes, that is true, but also through life we need a good pair of shoes. Shoes are also the base of your everyday physical life; so flipping that to a more thought provoking statement one might say, shoes are the base of other parts of your life. To mentally prepare oneself everyday for their tasks is sort of like dawning a good pair of shoes to start your day.

A french term that I am particularly fond of, mise en place (mees in plas), or everything in it's place, is a good way to think of your good pair of shoes. Waking up in the morning with a sense of awareness and preparation will lead to a good mise. A good mise for your day can open so many things up for you. My favorite part of having a good mise is never having to worry if something goes wrong, because everything to fix it is in it's proper place.

My reason for doing this is sharing the best piece of advice I've ever received with all of you, and I hope you understand my comparison of mise en place and good shoes. So, wrapping this up, go through your day with good shoes and a complete mise en place, I promise it'll be better.

Blessing on you, your food, and your kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment